Level 1 Now Available
Torchlight’s Level 1 curriculum for learners ages 6-8 is entitled Myth & Magic. In Level 1 a large focus of our literature studies is reading analysis through Socratic-inspired discussion. Myth & Magic uses the art of story with historical fiction and non-fiction to focus on history and culture, exploring social norms, both Ancient and modern to build understanding, empathy, and character. Works of cultural mythology allow us to practice logic and reasoning, the skill to decipher fact from fiction, and learning to appreciate both. We will study great people and events with the addition of human complexity, i.e. the grey areas. Torchlight Level 1 explores the science of biology with a focus on getting to know the human body down to our DNA. We will also explore ecosystems that support life from coral reefs and redwood forests, to those life-supporting systems that are threatened due to Global Warming. Torchlight uses a central science theme, but includes integrated studies of different sciences to add variety.
Torchlight Level 1 will take us around the ancient world from Early people to the Fall of Rome and we will listen to the ancient and cultural myths that were told around a crackling fire between families of old and some even today. Myths tell us about what a culture of people hold in the highest esteem, the challenges they once faced, and the questions they sought to answer. Aru Shah takes us through her trials as we listen to her inner dialog of growth and change. We observe Minli on a grand adventure to discover the true meaning of happiness. Nadia will teach us about anthropology and help us answer tricky questions about respect and scientific discovery.
Seeing the ancient world through the life of a child using A Child Through Time will help learners relate, making ancient studies accessible and the incredible maps in When on Earth? help to bring clarity to complex historical facts.
We will go on adventures with Nathaniel Fludd and cook up delectable edibles with Madame Pamplemousse; Solve mysteries with Precious, innovate, and even save the world from an Egyptian curse with Theodosia and other resilient girls throughout time.
Wishtree shines a light on intolerance and what we need to do as a community to heal, all from the perspective of an old oak tree. The book Uncle Teaches us about age-appropriate activism and community alongside the importance of books and solidarity.
Level 1 will introduce Pantomime Poetry, a cross-body movement learning opportunity and engaging way to learn and memorize poetry. Each piece of literature is accompanied by a Literature Primer, which will give insight into the books purpose with Torchlight, vocabulary, possible concerns to watch for while reading, and Socratic discussion opportunities that will prepare you without tying you to a script, making for more natural and authentic conversations.
Myth & Magic will also include a Vocabulary Journal (My Vocabulary Spell Book) to help engage your learner in acquisition, writing, using, and remembering new words. To further writing without the struggle you will both be taking part in a year-long project (Our Book of Myths) that incorporates art, creative writing, and reading, not to mention excitement and a special memento. Lastly, your learner will partake in Cryptography while deciphering messages in ancient languages and writing their own language.
Daily and Weekly Lesson plan with prep pages for 36 weeks of:
- Literature, Pantomime Poetry, Vocabulary, History, Mythology, Science, Art & Music.
- Linked book list
- Weekly library checklist
- Linked media within each lesson
- Additional linked
- Supplemental book list
- Supplementary App, media, and games list
- Extension activities for seamless further learning within each week
- Torchlight’s Progressive Geography Inquiry Lessons
- Torchlight’s exclusive Literature Primers Include:
- Torchlight’s intent when scheduling the book (educational value)
- Notes on secular and ethics breaches prior to scheduled readings
- Socratic-inspired discussion outlines
- A year-long project that incorporates art, creative writing, and reading (Our Book of Myths)
- Vocabulary Journal (My Vocabulary Spell Book)
- Ancient languages Cryptography Decoder & activities
- List of linked alternate/replacement books for easy tailoring of the program to suit each family’s needs
- Original games and activities to solidify learning and skills
- Recommendations for Math and Reading & Writing programs
- The recommended Reading & Writing program is very thorough and includes comprehension, grammar, punctuation, copy work and dictation in the appropriate levels.