Level 2 Now Available
Torchlight’s Level 2 curriculum for learners ages 7-9 is entitled Logic & Legend. In Level 2 we will become acquainted with the medieval world through non-fiction selections and legends alike. From the Islamic Golden age to the European dark ages; we will learn of the riches found in Africa and the thriving pre-colonization cultures in the Americas. We will immerse ourselves in the beauty of legends and use them to sharpen our logic skills.
Logic will be a focus in Level 2 using the Two Truths and a Lie series and logic games. Weekly, your learner will practice different logic skills including research, vetting sources, reasoning, and deduction all in a fun and challenging format while learning about biology and history alike.
Level 2 literature will be introducing some common threads within humanity such as emotional intelligence, confidence, understanding, loss, grief, homelessness, and perseverance. Each of these will be approached in a gentle age-appropriate manner with big conversations through Torchlight’s Literature Primers. We will meet alternative learners and be introduced to the Deaf community. Fall in love with the little-known country of Oman and follow Trinket on her journey to becoming a great storyteller. Our empathy will grow alongside our confidence with Stella and her supportive family.
Science will be an integrated approach using Real Science Odyssey Earth & Environment, Energy Lab, and a collection of the amazing Science Comics series. We will introduce engineering, the evolution and DNA of dogs, what the plague is and how it impacted the medieval world, and finally how climate changing is affecting our animals and how alternate energy can make a big difference.
We will continue to view the medieval world through the life of a child using A Child Through Time to help learners relate and make medieval studies accessible. The incredible maps in When on Earth? help to bring clarity to complex history.
Music and drawing through comic format storytelling will be the feature of our art and music studies. We will get to know musical instruments, famous composers, and how instruments can be used to tell stories.
Level 2 will continue our Pantomime Poetry, a cross-body movement learning opportunity and engaging way to learn and memorize poetry with Be Glad Your Nose is On Your Face, a fun and beautifully written book from the Children’s Poetry Laureate Jack Prelutsky. Each piece of literature is accompanied by a Literature Primer, which will give insight into the books value, vocabulary, possible concerns to watch for while reading, and inquiry-based discussion opportunities that will prepare you without tying you to a script, making for more natural and authentic conversations.
Logic & Legends will also include a Vocabulary Journal (My Vocabulary Spell Book) to help engage your learner in acquisition, writing, using, and remembering new words. To further writing without the struggle you will both be taking part in a year-long project (Becoming a Bard) that will work to help your learner become a better storyteller. We will also be introducing multiple new writing formats and touching on parts of speech and literary devices. Lastly, your learner will partake in another Torchlight original Hypatia adventure complete with a mystery, puzzles, historic learning opportunities, and fun characters.
Daily and Weekly Lesson plan with prep pages for 36 weeks of:
- Literature, Pantomime Poetry, Vocabulary, History, Mythology, Science, Art & Music.
- Writing & Grammar introduction are also included in Level 2!
- Linked book list
- Weekly library checklist
- Linked media within each lesson
- Additional linked
- Supplemental book list
- Supplementary App, media, and games list
- Extension activities for seamless further learning within each week
- Torchlight’s Medieval Geography Lessons
- Torchlight’s exclusive Literature Primers Include:
- Torchlight’s intent when scheduling the book (educational value)
- Notes on secular and ethics breaches prior to scheduled readings
- Socratic-inspired discussion outlines
- A year-long project that incorporates art, creative writing, and reading (Becoming a Bard)
- Vocabulary Journal (My Vocabulary Spell Book)
- Torchlight Original: Hypatia Evans and a Grave Riddle
- List of linked alternate/replacement books for easy tailoring of the program to suit each family’s needs
- Original games and activities to solidify learning and skills
- Recommendations for Math and Reading & Writing programs
- The recommended Reading & Writing program is very thorough and includes comprehension, grammar, punctuation, copy work and dictation in the appropriate levels.
Upon purchase all Torchlight Level 2 users will receive a $10 off code for RSO E&E used in Level 2.